Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

Leading Vs. Following~Which Way Is Your Heart Going

For Christmas I got my husband the Fireproof Bible study for couples, and The Love Dare book for each of us. We are planning on doing the Love Dare on each other and seeing if we can do it so discreetly the other one doesn't know that they are being dared.

Anyway, I sat down this weekend and began to read this book. Question: Do you read the introductions when you read a book, or do you skip right to the chapters? For me, I read every single page from beginning to end. From the dedication to the last page, I read every one of them. The introduction of this book really struck a chord with me. It talks about leading your heart.

For some reason, I have thought that my marriage was great and that there was nothing needed, but after reading JUST the introduction, I know I need more work. I have a bad habit of allowing my feelings to get in the way. I have learned that allowing myself to be led by my feelings causes many unecessary emotions.

Instead of allowing feelings to lead you, you lead your heart. That way, you are in control. Here is what the book says:
"This book is about love. It's about learning and daring to live a life filled with loving relationships. And this journey begins with the person who is closest to you: your spouse. May God bless you as you begin this adventure. 


But be sure of this: it will take courage. If you accept this dare, you must take the view that instead of following your heart, you are choosing to lead it. The world says to follow your heart, but if you are not leading it, then someone or something else is. The Bible says that the "heart is more deceitful than all else" (Jeremiah 17:9), and it will always pursue that which feels right at the moment.


We dare you to think differently--choosing instead to lead your heart toward that which is best in the long run. This is the key to lasting, fulfilling relationships."

Today, I have decided to no longer allow my feelings to lead me. Today I am choosing to take this dare of loving my husband unconditionally and leading my heart in the way that God wants it to go. Will you take this challenge with me?

1 comment:

Debbie=graciousmommy said...

This sounds really great Jennifer.How about giving your heart up to God to lead? Isaiah 45:2 I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron: Isaiah 48:17 Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go