Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chocolatey Chocolate Pancakes

I tried something new last week when I fixed homemade pancakes. I decided to add chocolate powder to the batter and then add syrup as well--chocolate syrup instead of pancake syrup. My kids said that these pancakes ROCKED! My pancake recipe comes from the Hillbilly Housewife website and it is really delicious without the chocolate!

 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 medium egg
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Mix together milk, egg, oil and sugar. Beat well with a fork or wire whisk. Add the salt, baking powder and flour. Beat again, mixing until the batter is smooth. Cook on a hot, well oiled griddle or skillet. I use about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake. I heat up my iron skillet over medium-high heat, and melt a spoonful of margarine or bacon grease in it. When the fat is almost smoking, I drop in about 1/4 cup of batter. Sometimes I cook two at a time, in the same pan. The pancake will settle down and cook. As it cooks, little bubbles will form around the edges of the pancake. The top will begin to dry out a little too. When the top is beginning to dry out, and the surface has plenty of bubbles on it, turn the pancake and cook the other side. Brown it well, and lay it in a plate. Repeat until all of the batter is used up (taken from the Hillbilly Housewife website with permission)

 

No comments: