Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Will

The ladies at my church have just started a new Bible study that we are doing on Thursday evenings entitled, Bad Girls of the Bible by Liz Curtis Higgs. I just love her enthusiasm about God's word and the way she does her face some of the time cracks me up as well.

This week, as I was completing my lessons, some of the scripture she had us looking up took on new meaning for me. She had us add two little words to each scripture we read to apply it to our lives. It was such a deeper feeling for me than just reading it, so I thought I would share it with you. The two little words she had us add were:

I Will. . . 

Here are the scriptures that we applied this to:
Psalm 119:10: I seek you with all my heart. Do not let me stray from your commands.
Now add the words I will to that and look at how it changes:
I will seek you with all my heart. Do not let me stray from your commands.

Hebrews 10:25: Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Add the I will words in:
I will not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let me encourage one another--and all the more as I see the Day approaching.

2nd Timothy 2:22: Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
Add the I will words in:
I will flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

2 Timothy 2:23: Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments because you know they produce quarrels.
Now add in the I will words:
I will not have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments because I know they produce quarrels.

Colossians 3:2: Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things.
Now for the I will words:
I will set my mind on things above and not on earthly things.

Colossians 3:5: Put to death therefore whatever belongs to your earthly nature; sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed which is idolatry.
Now for the little I will words:
I will put to death therefore whatever belongs to my earthly nature; sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed which is idolatry.

Colossians 3:8: But now you must rid yourself of all things such as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
Add I will:
I will rid myself of all things such as anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from my lips.

I guess the reason that this spoke to me so clearly was the fact that saying "I will" in front of these scriptures is like holding me accountable for my actions, where beforehand it was just a scripture from the Lord. Making it speak to you by making it personal helps you to see more clearly what God has been saying to you all along--at least for me it is.

What about you? How does God's word come alive to you? If it's not, are you just reading it because you feel an obligation to the Lord? Allow His word to dwell richly in your heart today! 

No comments: