Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Book Review: Here Burns My Candle

A
About the Book:

A mother who cannot face her future.
A daughter who cannot escape her past.
 
Lady Elisabeth Kerr is a keeper of secrets. A Highlander by birth and a Lowlander by marriage, she honors the auld ways, even as doubts and fears stir deep within her.

Her husband, Lord Donald, has secrets of his own, well hidden from the household, yet whispered among the town gossips.

His mother, the dowager Lady Marjory, hides gold beneath her floor and guilt inside her heart. Though her two abiding passions are maintaining her place in society and coddling her grown sons, Marjory’s many regrets, buried in Greyfriars Churchyard, continue to plague her.

One by one the Kerr family secrets begin to surface, even as bonny Prince Charlie and his rebel army ride into Edinburgh in September 1745, intent on capturing the crown.

A timeless story of love and betrayal, loss and redemption, flickering against the vivid backdrop of eighteenth-century Scotland, Here Burns My Candle illumines the dark side of human nature, even as hope, the brightest of tapers, lights the way home.

My Thoughts:

I love anything written by Liz Curtis Higgs. She has such a way of bringing characters to life sharing their joy, pain, love, and faith with you through the pages of the book. By the time I finished this one, I learned stuff about the Scottish people and some of their ways.

Liz also does Bible studies as well. You may know some of them like Bad Girls of the Bible (which I am currently doing). If you have never had a chance to read any of her writings, start with this book here. You will fall in love with the characters and their storylines!

You can purchase a copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah by clicking HERE


As an added bonus, watch this video trailer for Here Burns My Candle. 

 



I was provided a copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah as compensation for my review. The views and opinions are my own.

No comments: