Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Almost Done Curriculum Shopping!

It took me a few months to really decide what the kids needed for school this year. I finally got the decisions made and am almost done purchasing curriculum. My goal is to have all of it purchased by the end of this month so that I can spend the month of July creating lesson plans ( I really don't even know why I do that because I change them even after I make them)!

Here is a breakdown of what we will be doing this year!

Math
We will continue using Math U See. It is the ONLY math that my kids like, and believe me, they have tried many different types. Math U See helps them to visualize the problems and they are really understanding it. 
Robert's math: Pre-Algebra
Kayla's math: Epsilon (fractions and more)

Science
For Science this year, we are going to do ACE School of Tomorrow. The kids wanted to get a taste of the ACE curriculum before we jumped in with all of our feet, so we decided to do Science. Robert will be doing Biology. He is SO excited. He loves Science. Kayla will be studying Life Science. She says she will never dissect anything. Thankfully it comes with a dissection labs dvd where you can watch it being done. Robert on the other hand wants to dissect!

History English, Bible, Spelling, Reading

We will be doing Sonlight Alt 7 package. I have been skeptical of Sonlight simply because the price is SO high, however, I started collecting books a while back and I have purchased almost the WHOLE curriculum set for half of what it costs on their website. I am not scared at trying to piece together books. I look at it as a challenge, and I love those!  

Sometime in the near future, we may tackle foreign language, but my kids have no interest in learning one and I have no interest in teaching them something they do not want or care to learn about. 

Other things that will get thrown in the mix is PE, Home-EC, Art, Music (done our way of course), and then all the things we learn throughout the year regarding field trips and homeschool meeting classes.

What about you? Do you have your curriculum purchased yet?

1 comment:

Tina Hollenbeck said...

Good morning, Jennifer!

Yep, our curriculum is purchased - and almost entirely here in the house now (thanks to yesterday's delivery!). I discovered an unfortunate difficulty with the reading program I want to use for the girls - the publishers failed to disclose the unavailability of what I deem an important component - so I've lately been scrambling to find a viable alternative for that part of it so I can still use it (while also trying to convince the company to apologize for lying to its customers!). But other than that - and knowing I'll have to buy the next level of MUS mid-year - we're good to go...on August 2! :^)