Pages

Monday, June 30, 2008

Can We Talk

I am just about finished with a great bible study by Priscilla Shirer entitled Can We Talk? Soul Stirring Conversations with God. This has been one of the best bible studies I have ever done. It has helped me to slow down and to really study what I am reading and learning how to better apply it to my life.

For those of you who do not know who Priscilla Shirer is, she is the daughter of Dr. Tony Evans. I truly believe that this whole family is a blessing from the Lord. Stephen and I both have learned a great deal from each one in this family, and we actually got to meet Tony when we took a trip to Dallas last year. We went to Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship and was immediately engulfed in all the love! Everyone was extremely friendly and this man of God is exactly that! He practices what he preaches and he walks what he talks. His whole family is this way. And that is why I decided to do this study. I knew within my heart of hearts that this study would be an in depth mirror for my own relationship with the Lord.

I am now nearing the last week of study and today's scripture jumped out at me like never before. This is what it said:

Hosea 6:4-6 (The Message)

What am I to do with you, Ephraim?

What do I make of you, Judah?

Your declarations of love last no longer

than morning mist or predawn dew.

That's why I use prophets to shake you to attention,

why my words cut you to the quick:

To wake you up to my judgement blazing like light.

I'm after love that lasts, not more religion.

I want you to know God, not go to more prayer meetings.

WOW! That in itself is a mouthful! Immediatley God led me back to the second to the last line, "I'm after love that lasts, not more religion". How often do we try to give God our religiosity in exchange for our love? We tell God, "Well, uh let's see, I went to church 3 times this week, I tithed, I taught my class. What more do you want from me"? God wants our love more than our sacrifices. He could care less what religious practices we are doing. He wants our love to show through.

How does our love show through? In our service to Him by serving others. Loving Him by spending time with Him in the Word and through prayer and worship. LOVE HIM! LOVE HIM! LOVE HIM! He is most definitley worth it! I can honestly say that I don't regret ever giving up my old way of life to follow and serve Him and to love Him.

Today I issue us all a challenge. Treat God as if He is your true love that you could NEVER live without. Let Him know today just how much you love Him.

No comments: