Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What Kind of Woman Do You Want To Be?

Who can find a capable wife? She is far more precious than jewels.

The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will not lack anything good.

She rewards him with good, not evil, all the days of her life.

She selects wool and flax and works with willing hands.

She is like the merchant ships bringing her food from far away.

She rises while it is still night and provides food for her household

and portions for her servants.

She evaluates a field and buys it; she plants a vineyard with her earnings.

She draws on her strength and reveals that her arms are strong.

She sees that her profits are good, and her lamp never goes out at night.

She extends her hands to the spinning staff, and her hands hold the spindle.

Her hands reach out to the poor, and she extends her hands to the needy.

She is not afraid for her household when it snows, for all her household is

double clothed.

She makes her own bedcoverings; her clothing is fine linen and purple.

Her husband is known at the city gates, where he sits among the elders of the land.

She makes and sells linen garments; she delivers belts to the merchants.

Strength and honor are her clothing, and she can laugh at the time to come.

She opens her mouth with wisdom, and loving instruction is on her tounge.

She watches over the activities of her household and is never idle.

Her sons rise up and call her blessed. Her husband also praises her.

Many women are capable, but you surpass them all!

Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord

shall be praised.

Giver her the reward of her labor, and let her works praise her in the city gates.

Sounds pretty intimidating, doesn't it? I used to feel that way about the Proverbs 31 woman. I would read this passage of scripture and think, "Gosh, this woman has it all together." I believe the reason that this woman was able to accomplish all of this was because God was her God and she feared Him, not with a scared fear, but a revering fear of love and admiration.

I know in my own personal testimony that in the times that I am angry with God or upset with Him, that is when I find it the hardest to be like this woman, but when I am in His will and loving Him and fearing Him, I can be like her.

My lifelong goal in life is to be a great wife to my husband. Every time I pray to God to show me how to be the wife and mother that He has called me to be, I am always led back to this scripture passage.

I think my favorite verse in this passage is the one that says, Her husband is known in the city gates and he sits with the elders in the land. Does your husband have a good reputation because of the goodness that you speak about him? Or does he have a bad rep because you constantly put him down in front of others.? I read a book once that so changed my way of thinking when it came to my husband. I used to talk negatively about my husband to anyone who would listen. But after I read this book, I realized how awful it made him feel, but that it also gave people a negative outlook on who he was.

The one thing that has stuck with me is this: Before you say anything about your husband to anyone, ask yourself....Is this going to harm my husband or help him? I know, it is a very hard habit to break, but once you break it, you will start to see just how proud of you your husband can be.

So I ask you today, what kind of woman do you want to be? For me, I want to be the Proverbs 31 woman, in every way. That is what I strive for daily. That is what I pray for daily. That is what I live out daily.

God is my God and I want to serve Him by loving, submitting, and serving my husband. When I do this, I am loving God.

No comments: