Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Do You Ever Feel Frumpy?

I don't even know if frumpy is a word, but that is exactly how I have been feeling lately. I keep thinking back to my "BC" days, you know those before we were stay at home moms. I think back to how I kept myself neat. I stayed fit. I enjoyed getting new things, and dressing up for my man. And now...

well.....

I just don't care.

That was until today. I realized last night as I took a good look at myself in the mirror, how I have let myself go..horribly and completely.

I am not going to lie to you....I cried horribly. I hate the way I look. I love myself to much to allow myself to look so hideous.

At first I used excuses like..well the Bible says that I am not to focus on my outward appearance, or my husband loves me just like I am. It doesn't help that I work from home as well.

Where in the world did we get the idea that stay at home moms have to let themselves go? I am tired of using excuses as to why I can't fix myself up. Right now I am sitting here in my pj's and it is LUNCHTIME!! What is wrong with this??

2 comments:

Judy Dudich said...

Jennifer, I admire you for recognizing something that you wish to change in yourself and having the courage to do it!

You know, when I got married, my mother said "No matter how busy your day gets, always try to take a few moments to freshen up, do your hair, put on a little lipstick, clean outfit if you need to, and SMILE before your husband gets home"

I think that was VERY wise advice...thank you Jennifer, for helping me to remember that...I'll try harder if you will too :)

Nancy said...

I feel for ya girl. I really struggle with feeling like a big, fat, frumpy blob. I think that the way our body's change as we age makes "taking care of yourself" so much more complicated. I used to be able to just eat a few more salads and I'd drop 10 lbs at the drop of the hat. Now it's just SO much harder.

Maybe we can encourage each other. I'm trying to do a better job of taking care of myself too.