Pages

Friday, June 5, 2009

Why Do You Homeschool?

I started a new book this week. It is a fairly older book, but the information in its pages are such a golden treasure. In fact, this morning as I was reading, I was struck with such a genuine humbleness. It was an attitude of gratitude to my Savior for laying on my heart and my husband's heart the need to homeschool our children.

Did you know that there were many of our country's leaders who were homeschooled? Check out this list and see if you recognize any of these names!

  • Abigail Adams
  • John Quincy Adams
  • Hans Christian Anderson
  • Alexander Graham Bell
  • Pearl Buck
  • Andrew Carnegie
  • George Washington Carver
  • Charlie Chaplin
  • Agatha Christie
  • Winston Churchill
  • George Rogers Clark
  • Noel Coward
  • Piere Currie
  • Charles Dickens
  • Pierre Dupont
  • Thomas Edison
  • Albert Einstein
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Alexander Hamilton
  • Bret Harte
  • Patrick Henry
  • Stonewall Jackson
  • Robert E. Lee
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • C.S. Lewis
  • Douglas MacArthur
  • James Madison
  • Cyrus McCormick
  • John Stuart Mill
  • Claude Monet
  • James Monroe
  • Wolfgang Mozart
  • Florence Nightingale
  • Blaise Pascal
  • George Patton
  • William Penn
  • Franklin Delanor Roosevelt
  • Theodore Roosevelt
  • George Bernard Shaw
  • Albert Shweitzer
  • Leo Tolstoy
  • Mark Twain
  • George Washington
  • Marha Washington
  • Daniel Webster
  • John Wesley
  • Phyllis Wheatley
  • Woodrow Wilson
  • Orville Wright
  • Wilbur Wright
  • Andrew Wyeth

Many of our Presidents were homeschooled. Our country was founded on Biblical principals. So why is our economy decided that we as parents have no clue how to teach our children? If it was good enough for the founding fathers of our nation and some of the greatest leaders of our times, why can't it be good enough for us today? One thing that this book noted is that many of these leaders had compassion, intelligence, skill adeptness and self-sufficiency. That is what is lacking from today's generation.

So I go back to the title of my post. Why do you homeschool? I know for us, the reason that we homeschool is because I want more for my children than the local schools are allowing. My children are so smart, and to sit my child in a punishment room all day and say that he is a bad kid does not sit well with me.

I want my children to be able to handle conflict the correct way and not feel that they always have to "watch their back" for the sake of someone's initiation into a gang or a club.

I want my children to be able to have the freedom to further their interest in something instead of having to choose from a list of things that have no interest to them whatsoever.

I want my children to learn what it takes to survive in life, not just to do what it takes to get by.

These are the reasons why we homeschool. But the main one... the main reason we homeschool, is simply this....we want our children to be able to learn about their Godly heritage and what all God has done for them. At home they can learn this in depth. In a school setting, that is pushed to the side.

I am so blessed that God has given us this chance to homeschool. I am not saying that public school is wrong. Because there are some really great public schools, but for us, those schools are not here where I live. So for now in this moment in our lives, we will homeschool.

Oh and the book that I am currently reading? It is called The How and Why of Homeschooling by Ray E. Ballman. It really is a good book. You should read it!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Love this post. Sounds like a great book!