Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Blackberry Pie

Since I have been trying my hand at cooking from scratch, I decided to try making a fresh fruit pie. I love Apple Pie, and Peach Pie, but didn't have any of those fruits on hand. I love blackberries, so I purchased some and brought them home! It's a wonder I had any left to fix a pie with because my blackberry bandit (aka Kayla) kept on eating them!

Anyway I got on the internet and found a pastry crust recipe and a blackberry pie recipe at http://www.allrecipes.com/ . I was quite pleased with the way it turned out! And I was even more pleased when I cut into it and it looked like this! (Ignore the potato chip crumbles on my plate!)


It turned out delicious, so I thought I would share the recipe with you! Hope you enjoy!

Pastry For Double Crust Pie

2 cups of All Purpose Flour

3/4 tsp salt

2/3 cup shortening

6 tablespoons cold water

1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball to fit in a 9 or 10 in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.

2. Pour desired filling into crust. Roll out second ball. Position over filling; cut slits into pastry. Trim pastry to 1" beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top crust over bottom crust. Flute edges. Bake according to recipe instructions.

Blackberry Pie
1 recipe for a Double Crust pastry dough

4 cups of fresh blackberries

3 tablespoons of All Purpose Flour

1 cup White sugar

1 tbsp Lemon Juice

1 tbsp butter

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Line a 9 inch pie pan with half of pastry. Save remaining pastry for top crust. Chill both while preparing the blackberries.

3. Combine berries, flour, sugar, and lemon juice. Spoon into pie shell and dot with butter or margarine. Cover with top crust and slash in several places.

4. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes or until browned.

( I made an egg wash of 1 egg and 2 tbsp of water mixed together and brushed the top of my pie crust after the 15 minutes at 450 so that it would be shiny brown.)

Hope you all enjoy!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Love blackberries, looks delicious !