Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why?

Don't you just love that question? How many times a day do we hear that from our children when we ask them to do something? This week as I have been pondering on things, this one little word is one of the things I have been pondering on.

Why you may ask (see. . . even adults say it too)

It is very simple. I think we do God the same way. He gives us a really small task to complete, such as. . "give something to help that family, bake your neighbor a loaf of bread, help that little girl fix her bike". . something very small, and we begin to feel like God is asking us to fly across the moon in a spaceship or something. So we start questioning Him.

Why God?

Why me?

Can't ___________ do it? She is so much nicer to talk to than me?

Do I have to?

I don't feel like it.

(long sigh and eyes rolling) oooooookkkkkaaaayyyyyyy

I wonder what God thinks about that when we do that? Do you think it bothers Him? I don't. The reason I feel this is way is simply because of a verse in Esther 4 that just really makes me think about this.
13 Mordecai told [the messenger] to reply to Esther, "Don't think that you will escape the fate of all the Jews because you are in the king's palace. 14 If you keep silent at this time, liberation and deliverance will come to the Jewish people from another place, but you and your father's house will be destroyed. Who knows, perhaps you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this." 
See, regardless of whether I do what God has asked of me, it will get done. Maybe not by me, but by someone else who is more willing than I to step up and be God's hands and feet. But I don't like to give those special moments away. Those moments are the biggest blessings in my life.

Imagine what Esther's life would have been like if she would have continued to protest to Mordecai and not stepped up to the task that God was calling her to. She would have faced certain death, or a life of not knowing (you know the feeling I am talking about here--"what if").

So I have decided to do my best not to whine and ask why all the time when God asks me to do something for Him. What about you? Are you ready to stop asking why and start living for God on a much higher spiritual basis?

1 comment:

Kela said...

My biggest question is "Say what?" Um...say that again Lord. Surely I didn't hear you right.
Knowing that God has my best in mind, I surrender!