Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Book Review: Mother Daughter Duet

 

Written by a mother and daughter who have successfully navigated the minefield from distance and tension to acceptance and friendship, Mother-Daughter Duet helps moms open wide the door of communication so that daughters want to walk through it. Filled with personal anecdotes and based on proven principles, each chapter offers timeless wisdom as well as a daughter's perspective. Often these principles apply to daughters-in-law as well. Paperback.
**********
When I first got this book in the mail, I was not sure it would pertain to me much at this point in my life because my daughter is only 11. Can I just say that this was the wrong assumption? As soon as I started reading it, I saw myself in these pages and how some of the things I am doing with my daughter at this moment might be triggers of pushing her away later in life. YIKES!!!

Here is a thought from the book that spoke to me early on:
Sometimes it's a daughter who leans too heavily on her mother, wanting Mom to fix every crazy, serial situation. If that's our situation, it's in her best interest to stop bailing your daughter out if she gets into trouble. If she goes to college and ends up with credit card debt, for example, let go of the compulsion to rescue. That sends a powerful--and ultimately more helpful--message that your daughter is grown up, and that she can work things out herself. We can support and advise if asked, but we should not solve everything for our daughters.

I love how God gives me books to read to help me see exactly where I am. That little verse above is me. I did not realize how much I have been bailing Kayla out, all because she sometimes is scared of failing. I have made her that way. Upon reading this book and coming across this chapter, I have since started urging her to try without my help and learning to solve things on her own.
This book was a wonderful read and I would recommend it to anyone who has daughters regardless of whether they are grown or still at home. You can purchase a copy at Random House by going HERE.

I was provided a copy of this book by Random House in exchange for my review.

No comments: