Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Wedding Bells~Or Not


 Tell about your wedding day

I wish that I could tell you that my husband and I had the most elaborate of weddings. I wish that I could tell you we were madly in love when we married. I wish that I could tell you that we went on a wonderful long honeymoon.

I wish I could tell you those things, but I cannot.

Do I feel bad because I can't? Absolutely not!

But what I can tell you is this:

We may have only cared a little for each other when we got married, but God made sure we learned to love each other with His love.

We may have married for the wrong reasons and made TONS of mistakes that first year, but God made sure we became what each of us needed to be for the other one.

It's funny when I look back now and I think about our marriage--how I moved out of my parent's home and into his house. How my mom tried to get me fired from my job because we were living in sin. How we were both so angry at everyone calling us sinners for living together that we decided to get married.

I remember buying a cream colored suit to get married in at the courthouse--without my parents because they were mad at me for moving out (I was actually kicked out but that is a whole 'nother story).

The courthouse was scary as I climbed the steps and waited with Stephen as we got ready to "tie the knot". Within a couple of minutes we were husband and wife.

We spent that evening at a motel with a friend. We were all totally drunk and spent the evening throwing beer caps into a lamp shade.

Regardless of how bad all of that sounds for a wedding day--God made sure I married the man that was meant for me. To everyone else, we were doomed from the first day. But because we gave our marriage to God--He made it into the marriage that it is today. He can do the same for you!

4 comments:

Tonya @ The Traveling Praters said...

My husband and I didn't have an ideal beginning either. We had chosen to live together, partly because I had no where else to go- long story. After a year we got married at the courthouse. I've always regretted that decision not to have a wedding, but never our decision to get married or who I married. I thank God everyday for the man he placed in my life.

Andrea said...

I was pregnant with my little girl when my husband and I got married, so a lot of people were not happy with us at the time either. In fact, when I went to my priest to ask him (and was upfront about the pregnancy from the get go), he told me that from his experience, couples in "our situation" had a marriage survival rate of virtually 0 (or something similarly worded). Luckily for us, we didn't listen to that priest. We were married elsewhere, gave birth to the best little accident (who definitely wasn't God's accident) ever, and are still just as happy as the day we were married 5 years later. God knows what (and who) we were meant for, even if we do not. Glad to hear that you all have survived as well!

Homemaker Honey said...

God's grace is so beautiful!

Celebrate marriage by visiting my HELLO, HANDSOME! Blog Party

http://www.homemakerhoney.com/p/hello-handsome-giveaway-list.html

Deborah
Homemaker Honey

michelle ellis said...

I love your honesty and the way that you credit God with turning your marriage into something amazing!!! So beautiful!