Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

12 New Things: August~Biscuits!


A couple of weeks ago, I did a post on 12 new things that I plan to learn over the next year. For August, my goal was to learn how to make homemade biscuits and NOT bricks.

I cannot tell you the countless number of times I have made biscuits and each and every time they have turned out horrible. You may say--oh they probably weren't that bad, but when my husband chooses CANNED biscuits over homemade biscuits--there is a problem there!

So I have been working ALL month long trying to learn to make the "perfect" homemade biscuit. Everyone I know said, Oh I use the White Lily recipe. It's SO easy.  I used that recipe--and it failed--three times. So then I decided to watch the video on their website about making perfect biscuits (you can find that video HERE).

Here is what I discovered I hadn't been doing from watching the video:

~Whisking the flour before adding anything to it.

~Making sure the measurements were exact.

~Putting my biscuits close together for soft sides

~Patting them out verses rolling them out (this tip came from another website)

~Putting the temperate at the highest setting on the stove

~Making my pan silver instead of a dark coated pan

After watching the video, I decided it was time to try again--for the fourth time this month.

So far so good!

This time, they even looked different on the tray! They were more fluffier and less packed as before. I did not have a silver pan, so I used aluminum foil and it worked wonders!




Notice that the biscuit on the right is from earlier this month. See how squished it is. It was heavy and dense and just downright--blah!

The biscuit on the left however, is from today! Light, fluffy, soft, YUMMY!

I did it! I finally did it! I made biscuits from scratch and they rocked!

Now to make up a batch and flash freeze them so I will have biscuits on hand to cook every morning!

Here's the recipe.

White Lily Homemade Biscuits

Ingredients
2 cups of self rising flour
1/4 cup of shortening
2/3-3/4 cup of milk or buttermilk

Directions
  1. Dump flour in a separate bowl and whisk slightly to break up the clumps.
  2. Measure flour into measuring cup with a spoon. Using a butter knife on the non cutting side, even your flour out in the cups. Pour into different mixing bowl.
  3. Press shortening in measuring cup and level it off the same way. 
  4. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a fork.
  5. Make a well in the center of your flour mixture and pour milk in.
  6. Mix gently with a fork until just combined.
  7. Flour work surface and dump dough out on the counter.
  8. Knead 2-3 times just to make sure everything is mixed evenly.
  9. Gently press dough out to about an inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter. (Don't twist cutter. Just insert and press straight down and come back out. Twisting will result in biscuits not rising properly)
  10. Place cut biscuits on prepared baking sheet. (I oiled my pan up and then ran my biscuits through the oil on both sides). Make sure if you want soft sided biscuits to place them close together.
  11. Butter tops of biscuits before baking.
  12. Bake in a 500 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes.
Next month, I am teaching myself how to decoupage something. We will see how that turns out!

10 comments:

Blossom Barden (NorthLaurel) said...

I love biscuits! Until about 3 years ago I used to make rocks. Not bricks, bricks are breakable, but rocks!
You do almost everything that I do now and my biscuits look like your successful ones :) I didn't even realize I was finally 'doing it' right, just thought I found the perfect recipe :)And, actually, my recipe is almost the same as yours! Thanks for sharing :)

Traci Michele said...

Great job! Woo hoo. Looks so good!

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

they look so fresh and good! you did a wonderful job.

The McDowells said...

I found your post through Like a Warm Cup. Thanks! I have NEVER been able to make good homemade biscuits, but I will try this one!

Evelien said...

that's impressive... But it doesn't look like what I would call biscuits! There are so many differences between America and Belgium, I never imagined!
But still, those things look very good, I'll write the recipe down and give it a try when I'm somewhere with an oven!!

Evelien said...

Shortening is the "crisco's"?
Could I use butter instead? It's not available here...
Maybe my questions are stupid but that doensn't matter haha! I'm still learning!

Kristen said...

Yum-o! I can't wait to try this!

penguinsandladybugs said...

Those look amazing!!!!

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE homemade biscuits...especially with jam, or apple butter! What a fabulous new thing to learn : )

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm coming over from Sarah Mae's 12 Things challenge blog. Girl...those are some BISCUITS!!! Awesome :D