Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Laughter



When is the last time you had an uncontrollable fit of laughter? You know the kind I am talking about. The kind where

~Your sides hurt and you think your rib cage is going to explode

~when you look at someone you bust out laughing again even though it has been fifteen minutes since you stopped laughing

~You almost pee your pants because you have laughed so hard

~when you take a drink and start to think of that "funny thing" one more time and you spew the contents of drink out of your mouth onto the person in front of you, making you laugh all that much harder.

I had that kind of episode on Sunday evening while watching a movie with my family. I don't even know how it got started. The guy on the movie mispronounced a word and it struck my son funny and he began to laugh--hard. His laughter was SO contagious that my daughter began laughing hysterically. It was STILL contagious and before long, the three of us were laughing so hard we were all crying.

So why is it as adults, we have THE HARDEST time just letting go and laughing?

I know I do. Sometimes I feel that I have lost my laughter or that I am just "too busy" to enjoy a good laugh. I don't want to do that--that's for sure. I want to enjoy life and laugh. My coffee up says:

~Sit long

~Talk much

~Laugh often

Don't you know that God deems it important for us to laugh and be cheerful? Here are a few verses I found about laughter and being happy.
  • Job 8:21
    He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy.
  • Psalm 126:2
    Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them."
  • Proverbs 31:25
    She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
  • Ecclesiastes 3:4
    a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
  • Luke 6:21
    Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
  • Psalm 68:3
    But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful.
  • Proverbs 15:13
    A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.
As you can see, God wants us to be happy and cheerful. He wants us to laugh and enjoy life.

Today, spend some time just enjoying yourself. Watch a movie that makes you laugh, take your family out for ice cream, play with your spouse, and wrestle with the kids. DO SOMETHING SPONTANEOUS and enjoy it while you do it!

You can find more inspiration at Word Filled Wednesday.

13 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Jennifer,

So nice to meet you! One of the main reasons I enjoy WFW is because of the way the Lord speaks to my heart.

I needed to read this RIGHT now. And apply it!

It was so awesome and true.


Have a blessed day♥

Unknown said...

God truly has a sense of humor. It is the most effective way to get through most trials.

MusingMom

musingsmom.blogspot.com
musingsmomspirit.blogspot.com
musingsmombible.blogspot.com

Denise said...

Amen, I love to laugh.

Amanda said...

I know the kind of laughter you talk about... it is the kind that I don't do often enough! LOL

Oh, sometimes there is no "almost" about it ;) eek!

Loved this... what a blessing to read your WFW,...

Farmgirl Cyn said...

One of the funniest things ever was a you-tube clip by Tim Hawkins called "Cletus take the reel". I laughed till I cried!

ozjane said...

That was special as the previous two weeks of our study group have been blessed by just that sort of hilarious uncontrollable mirth. We are all past 40 and must have looked so funny...but both days it seemed God just gifted us with laughter.
Oh it felt so good.
I have sent your post to me as an email so I can share those verses with the ladies next week.

Wanda said...

Hi Jennifer, I've enjoyed by first visit to your place. I love a good laugh and thanks for providing the scriptures to back up that laughter is a part of God's plan for us.

Unknown said...

Im so bless that my kids make me laugh to point of tearing up. What a postive post. Thank you and thank you for coming by and following. Im following you back.

Create With Joy said...

Dear Jennifer

Thanks for joining me at Create With Joy - I am following you back!

Hugs
Ramona
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

Mary said...

I LOVE to laugh! It has brought healing to my heart many times. Thanks for sharing! Blessings.

Amanda said...

Thank you for following my blog! I am returning the gesture and following you back as well.

www.mandalynandtheestinkycheese.com

Aleksandra Nearing said...

I few nights ago my hubby and I broke into crazy laughter. We were near slap-happy. No one makes me laugh like he does!

Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah said...

Thanks Jennifer for stopping by! Following you back!
Lolo
www.crazyaboutmybaybah.com