Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2009

When Children Dominate Your Marriage

I am reading a new book right now by Stormie Omartian. The title of the book is Praying Through the Deeper Issues of Marriage. The chapter I am on right now deals with when children dominate the marriage. As I began to really get into the meat of this chapter, I realized how much my kids are dominating my marriage. Let me explain.

As homeschooling mothers, we can get wrapped up in lesson planning, teaching, nurturing our kids, helping and molding, and totally get so wrapped up in the aspect of teaching them that we neglect our marriage. I know because I have been there.

We have got to learn balance when it comes to our kids and our husbands. I know that alot of women don't like to hear that their children come after their husbands, but that is how God designed it to be.

I used to think that my mother was mean when she would say if she had to choose between us kids or my dad that she would choose my dad, but now I totally understand what she meant by that.

Today my challenge to you is this: put your marriage first. Find ways to love your mate and let them know how you feel. Let them KNOW that they are a priority in your life. That is the challenge for myself this week as well.

I leave you with this prayer from the chapter:

"Lord, help me to be balanced in my parenting. Help me to not be obsessive about my children, but rather to relinquish control over their lives to you. Help me to find the balance between focusing too much on my children and neglecting my husband, and the other extreme of neglecting my children in any way. Help me to put You first, and mu husband second in my life, so that my focus on our children doesn't come between those two relationships. Wherever there are disagreements between me and my husband as to how to raise and discipline our children, help us to be able to communicate well with each other and resolve whatever conflict we have. In Jesus' name I pray.

No comments: