As I have shared before, I have not always been the best wife and mother. There was a time that I was ready to give it all up, all in the name of sin. But now. . . the Lord has touched my heart and has put such a longing to be a better wife and mother.
For me, it starts with being a good daughter to the Lord. He helps me to be the wife He created me to be and the mother that my children need. Today I wanted to focus on what it takes to be a godly wife. Here are a few of the verses that I go to when I need a reminder of what a godly wife looks like:
- Psalm 128:3Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your sons will be like olive shoots around your table.
- Proverbs 12:4A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.
- Proverbs 19:13A foolish son is his father's ruin, and a quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping.
- Proverbs 21:19Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.
- Proverbs 27:15A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day;
- 1 Corinthians 7:3The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.
For a long time I did not understand the full concept of being a godly wife. I hated the word submission and everything it stood for. I felt that it was an entrapment for women to be treated as a door mat. That was until the Lord showed me how much liberating freedom there was in being submissive.
I have always been the type of woman who is independent and does not need anyone to do anything for her. I had always carried the weight of the world on my shoulders. God showed me that this was not my job. I was created to be a nurturer and comforter to my family members. My husband was the one who was built for this. The first time I experienced this I cannot tell you how free I felt! I had 500 pounds lifted off my shoulders.
One thing that I have decided to do in this area, is to try to meet all my husband's needs for the day. I am not talking about intimate needs, but real needs he may have. An errand that needed running, a phone call that needed to be made, or something like that. He LOVES breakfast so I always try to make it a point to make him breakfast. This has allowed me to be submissive and show him that I love him and how much I am thankful that he is following Christ.
In the future, I just plan on letting God guide me in the areas where I am weak, so that He can make a stronger woman for my Lord, for my man, and for my kids.
This post is linked to A Gathering At The Well