Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Homemade Dog Shampoo


Working for Econobusters has really opened my eyes to the wonderful world of frugality. I really thought I was frugal before I went to work for them, but man was I wrong! This month marks one whole year that I have been with TOS and Econobusters and I am amazed at all that I have learned. In fact, a few weeks ago, we did a newsletter on pets and one of our staff members found this recipe for homemade dog shampoo. I was kind of skeptical at first, but then I decided to try it and all I can say is “Oh my gosh”!
This shampoo is extremely frugal and works great for itchy pets! It cost me around $10 to buy all the ingredients to make it, BUT it makes like 6 HUGE bottles of dog shampoo. I think I have saved myself around $20 by making it at home(I have to buy the oatmeal flavored for itchy skin which can run anywhere from $5-$6 a bottle).
Here is the recipe! If you decide to make this, be sure and come back here and leave me a comment letting me know what you think. I even cut the recipe in half so that I could fit it all in my old dog shampoo bottle.

Sham-Pooch Dog Shampoo

Ingredients:
1 pint of Ivory or Dove liquid dish soap
1 pint of water
1 pint of apple cider vinegar (don’t worry…you cannot smell it once it is washed out)
4 ounces of glycerin (available at your local pharmacy)
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container. Use as needed to shampoo your dog.

No comments: