Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

No Dawdling Allowed!

Y'all know how much I talk about keeping myself busy cause I just like to stay busy, right? Well, I am still reading Anne Ortlund's book, The Disciplines of a Beautiful Woman and I cannot tell you how much I have learned from this little book. I just finished the chapter on scheduling and she gives some practical things you can do to make sure you don't dawdle your time away. Here are her suggestions:
  • Exercise
  • Memorize Scripture
  • Look over your coming calendar, and prepare what to wear
  • Give yourself a pedicure
  • Write a list of your blessings
  • Walk around your house critically: adjust, rearrange, throw-out, give away
  • Cook ahead for the freezer
  • Cream yourself all over (I am assuming this means lotion)
  • Read part of an important book
  • Clean out your cosmetics drawer
  • Write a letter to an old friend
  • Do your nails
  • Weed your garden
  • Bring your recipe file up to date
  • Encourage a Christian friend by telephone, someone you don't usually call
  • Put all those old photos into albums
  • Take a walk in the park
  • Nap on a slant board or with your feet up
  • Have a prolonged time talking with God; partly on your knees, partly standing with hands raised, partly on you face before Him on the floor
  • Write a poem (don't be silly; everybody does)
  • Write your Pastor an encouraging note
I guess the thing that really got to me about this list is because in today's day and time, we spend SO much time in the Internet (speaking from experience here) that we say we don't have time to do ANY of these things mentioned above. But what I have come to learn, is that when we turn off the computer, we can accomplish ALL of these things and more.

In my own life, I want to get back to the days when my computer was not the thing I spent the most time with. In fact, yesterday afternoon, I just decided to turn this thing off and went on a walk with my daughter. It was such a blessing.

Today, I encourage you to take this list above and find something to do. It will help SO much in finding yourself again. The Internet is not your best friend--the place where all your time should be spent.

No comments: